olisgang@gmail.com 07806 836 732
Donate today

A Very Long Day

I’m so tired …. both physically and mentally tired.

I’m not looking for sympathy as running a sanctuary is my choice but I want people to know that when I’m late or forget to do things that it’s because I’m either involved with the animals or I’m just so tired that I can’t think straight.

Today is a classic example of a day at Sheep Ahoy being both a busy and productive day today at the charity ☺️

It started with picking up a shed that had been donated to us from some kind people and taking it to one of the fields. Unloading the shed, picking up some sheep hurdles from the field and then some shed paneling and other wood from a kind local supporter. Then we were off to the polytunnel field where the priority was of course to check and feed the sheep. That in itself is a mammoth job as we make up our own bespoke feed and feed the sheep according to their individual needs, for example, Eli needs a separate feed as he won’t eat with the other lambs.

Then it was time to unload the trailer and we put the donated shed panels to use straight away. We used these to wind proof the area we had made for Ed and Bill & Ben plus we then secured their area even more with the hurdles we’d brought from the other field …. We just don’t trust that Ed sheep!

Lots of other tasks which included unloading the feed from the trailer and putting in the secure feed bins. Feed ranges from 15kg to 25kg a bag and there is no other way than to literally lift it into the feed bins. I do worry about the charity volunteers who carry out these tasks along with me for the sake of the rescues. I’m not sure they know what they are signing up too when they start to volunteer.

If that wasn’t enough we re stacked the few remaining hay and straw bales and created an area for the fresh large hay rounds to be stored … and as if by magic they arrived!

Phew! What a day!

We do it for our love of the sheep but it still doesn’t stop us being exhausted and our bodies aching at the end of the day.

On top of all the jobs we do is spending time with the rescues. Peter just loves fusses and follows us around just to spend time with us, Caleb is very chilled and waits patiently for a cuddle, Ed wants us with him 24hrs a day so whatever time we do spend with him needs to be quality time …. we just love it but do realise that we have to balance our time between tasks and spending time with our sheep family.

The day did have some funny parts like the time that I got the biscuits knocked out of my hand and ended up with Elvis between my legs stuffing his face with biscuits whilst the others knocked me forward and stood on my hair …. I emerged looking like a scarecrow!

The evening usually involves admin tasks but tonight that’s a ‘no’ as my brain isn’t up to it and I need an early night with some pain relief 😂